One question Cyber Security frequently hears from students is something along the lines of “I just bought a new Windows laptop. What do I do next?”
Here are some simple steps you can take to secure Windows 10:
- Keep Windows OS and software patched— select start, Settings, Update&Security , advanced options, select Box “Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows.” This will patch all windows products installed on the PC.
- Turn on disk encryption — Pro or Enterprise versions only – enable BitLocker – Rt.Click Start, ControlPanel, BitLocker, Select Turn On BitLocker
- Start screen saver and require a password — Rt. Click Desktop, Personalize, Lock screen, screen saver settings, enable with the “on resume, display logon screen” option checked
- Verify security and maintenance settings- Rt.Click Start, ControlPanel, Security and Maintenance, Security, verify All setting are on and OK
- Backup — Start, Settings, Update@Security, Backup, You can use an external hard drive to backup your PC. You may opt to purchase a service such as CrashPlan, which offers a student discount via http://crashplan.com/gtstudent
We recommend free Windows Defender, Security essentials and/or Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software for anti-malware protection.