Due to the impact of COVID-19 we are suggesting best practices for working remotely and meeting compliance through this time period. The guidance below is to ensure employees act safely with GT Owned and personally owned devices and information when working remote.
Be sure to connect to VPN at all times to ensure your connection is secure. For information on how to do so, please click here.
Be sure to encrypt your machine and drives whenever possible.
Sharing Protected Student Information
When sharing protected student information, Georgia Tech Approved File Sync & Storage solutions must be used.
- Approved File Sync & Storage solutions are Microsoft Office 365 OneDrive, Microsoft Office 365 SharePoint, Dropbox, Box, and departmental file shares.
- Discuss with your local IT professional to ensure data is being shared via an Approved File Sync & Storage location.
- When sharing on an approved solution, ensure you are setting file permissions appropriately.
- When using cloud-based solutions (i.e. Office 365 Suite, Box, Dropbox), use Authenticated Links.
An authenticated link is a link shared with collaborators that requires them to use a username and password to access the shared data. Sharing of protected student information should be done through authenticated links. Unauthenticated links are not to be used when sharing protected data. Information on sharing using authenticated links for each solution can be found below:
Approved Tools, Services and Endpoint Software
When using a Georgia Tech Issued System, be sure the system has the Approved Endpoint Software loaded.
Should you be remoting into a system here on campus using a personal machine, be sure to use VPN as well as ensure that you have antimalware software loaded onto your system.
For a list of approved tools and services for Remote Instruction, please click here.
Be sure to communicate using approved campus services for teleconferencing. Information about approved campus services for teleconferencing can be found here.
- Non-public secure area (preferably behind lock and key)
- Cable lock
- Full Disk Encryption
If you have additional questions on the options above, please visit this page.